Friday, September 4, 2009

Is it okay for a 6 week old to rule your life?

So I think we had it waxed with the feeding routines - morning, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and late night feeds, then a bit of sleep and if I'm up once or twice in the night I didn't bother. Then I started to get irritated with the 6 to 10pm crying time when D wouldn't go down without being held, and then he'd cry the minute you put him in his cot. After this an unexpected and nasty 3 hourly routine between feeds AT NIGHT started to creep in and I decided to squash this habit as I was getting used to my sleep.
It's the SLEEP patterns that I need help with. So I consulted some books and friend's advice and took some of each but decided the strict Gina Ford (don't shoot me) routine suited me perfectly. I want to know when to do what when I'm too tired to think. What's the fuss all about -the woman is marvelous - she even tells you when to eat your toast! So yesterday was our first GF day. If I tell you that I only got up ONCE in the night you will say it was successful. But this was my reward for putting up with him from 7 to 10 when he wouldn't go down and feeding him every 30 minutes. THAT is exhausting. And today is completely wonky and he didn't want to wake-up when he was meant to, or feed at the right times. I feel like I'm back to square one. What do I do? A: Keep at the GF routine for a week to see if we get it right. B: Toss the routine, follow the babies cues C: Toss the baby out the window

1 comment:

  1. I think anything new you try you have to give it at least 3 days, routines aren't established overnight but are fantastic if you can get it to work.

    ReplyDelete